Welcome to Canberra Runners
This is an interim web page
which will operate from 1 June 2021
until our new web site is operational in August.
Canberra Runners (formerly YMCA Canberra Runners Club) is Canberra’s largest running organisation and offers events and activities for runners of all ages and abilities. At Canberra Runners we aim:
· To encourage and promote the sport of running in the Canberra region.
· To conduct a range of running activities, events, and training.
· To promote active lifestyles by encouraging broad participation in social and competitive running activities in an inclusive and supportive manner.
Canberra Runners holds over 90 races each year ranging from 1.6 km to half marathons and a 100 km multi-stage event. Our headline events include Capital to Coast, the Canberra Half Marathon, and the Thredbo Fun and Fitness Week. We also offer training programs for beginner runners looking to run their first 5 kms, through to runners wanting to step up to a half marathon.
If you’re just looking for someone to run with Canberra Runners also offers group runs with the TTS group meeting on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday mornings, and Sunday Runners on Sunday mornings.
Membership of Canberra Runners is open to all. Membership categories include adult members, junior members (open to persons under 18 years of age), family members, and volunteer members. All members must agree to uphold the objects of Canberra Runners and comply with the requirements of the Association’s Constitution and By-Laws.
The membership year is from 1 January to 31 December and membership provides free entry to all Canberra Runners activities except the Half Marathon, Capital to Coast, Thredbo Fun and Fitness Week, and Training Programs. Members receive discounted entry for these activities.
2021 membership is priced as detailed below and is available here.
Canberra Runners has several flagship events run each year:
· Capital to Coast – a two-day staged trail race run between Canberra and the South Coast in August. More information is available at https://www.capitaltocoast.com.au/
· Canberra Half Marathon – the Canberra Half Marathon, which has been conducted for over 50 years and incorporates the Rex Foulkes Memorial Race, is held in May of each year.
· Thredbo Fun and Fitness Week – is a fantastic summer holiday option for families and friends. Held within the Thredbo Alpine Village in Kosciuszko National Park in January each year the program of events runs over 8 days with something for everyone.
More information will be available on the new web site in due course.
Canberra Runners hosts a series of races throughout the year. Participation is free for members. Non-members are welcome and entry is $15 for adults and $5 for runners aged under 18 years.
· Summer Series – consists of eight events, each including a 2 km race and a 5 km race. Summer series events are held on Tuesday evenings at 6:15 pm between January and March.
· Winter Series – events are held on Saturdays from late April until mid-September and include 2 km, 3-5 km, and 6-10 km races. The Winter Series also includes 3 longer races including a 16 km race on the bike paths around West Basin, a 16 km cross country race at Stromlo Forest Park and a 21.1 km off-road half marathon at Goorooyarroo Nature Reserve.
· Spring Series – are held on Tuesday evenings for 5 weeks commencing on the first Tuesday in November. Each event includes a short and a longer event. The final event in the Spring Series is the Christmas Relays, a low-key, fun event where teams of 8 runners compete over 16 kms.
· Jogalong – is held on the first Sunday of every month in Weston Park. There is a 6 km event for women and girls, a 3 km event for women and girls and boys aged 12 years and under, and a 1.6 km minijog for boys and girls aged 12 years and under. Children aged under 6 years must be accompanied by a responsible adult. All events are run on dirt tracks and bike paths. Jogalong is free to members. Non-members are welcome and entry is $15 for adults and $5 aged under 18 years. Jogalong events are all about participation and enjoyment. They are designed to encourage women and girls to get out and get active by providing a physical challenge in a friendly and social environment.
A schedule of upcoming events is listed below:
Group Runs occur all year round and are free to members. Our group runs cater for runners of all ages and abilities, although runners aged under 18 years should be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
· TTS – meets for group runs from 6:30 am to 7:30 am on Tuesday and Thursday mornings at Lennox Gardens, Flynn Drive in Yarralumla and from 7:00 am to ~ 8:30 am on Saturdays at varying locations around Canberra. Generally, there will be a group breakfast at a local coffee shop after the Saturday run. For more information on TTS runs contact us here or sign up for the TTS newsletter here.
· Sunday Runners – meets 7:30 am on Sunday mornings at varying locations around Canberra for a 60 minute out and back run followed by a group breakfast after. For more information on Sunday Runners join the Sunday Runners Facebook Group or contact us here. You can also sign up for the Sunday Runners newsletter here.
Canberra Runners offers structured training programs which cater for beginner runners through to more experienced runners wanting to increase their distance or pace. Each program is delivered by Training Program Coordinators, volunteer members with Level 1 Run Leader (or above) accreditation through Athletics Australia, with assistance from volunteer members of Canberra Runners.
Each program is designed to all allow participants to develop fitness and running strength in a fun and supportive environment. Programs are priced individually with a discount offered to current members.
· Half Marathon Training Program – runs for 13 weeks and prepares participants for the Canberra Half Marathon held in Canberra in May. Participants meet in various locations around Canberra on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 6:30 am to 7:30 am and on Saturday mornings at 7:00 am.
· Canberra Times Marathon Festival Training Program – runs for 8 weeks beginning in February and concluding with participation in the 5.4 or 10km event in the Canberra Times Marathon Festival in April. Participants meet in various locations around Canberra on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 6:30 am to 7:30 am and on Sunday mornings at 7:30 am.
· Canberra Times Fun Run Training Program – runs for 10 weeks and prepares participants for the 10 km Canberra Times Fun Run event. Participants meet on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 6:30 am to 7:30 am and on Sunday mornings at 7:30 am.